Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What is rubberducking anyway?

Some people have asked me where the title of my blog (rubberducking) comes from.

Well it's quite simple - rubber-ducking is the art of talking to a rubber duck to find solutions to your problems.

Sounds crazy? Well probably a little bit...

But you probably had this kind of conversation a few times:
You: Hey Joe, I've got this problem with my code... I'm wondering how to... Oh yeah just saw the problem, thanks!
Joe: ...

Now I'm sure Joe is a nice person, but what if he's not available? A rubber duck can sometimes work nicely:
You: Hey ducky, I'm having trouble with this algorithm... Everything is by the book, even this tricky part here... Oh wait, got it! Thanks!
Ducky: <quack>

Anyway I wanted a medium to explore ideas and get feedback... Rubber ducks are nice, but sometimes I need the duck to talk back, hence the blog

If talking to a single duck is not enough, you can try to talk to many pixies... You never know, it might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment